Here are 10 tips for working out and weight loss from Kathie Owen, Certified Fitness Trainer since 2002.
1. You can't spot-reduce fat from a certain area, like your belly -- you have to work all areas in order to see a difference in how your body looks.
2. Exercise in the morning; research shows that morning exercisers burn more calories, possibly because that's when your body's energy is at its peak.
4. Intervals are proven to reduce belly fat and rev up metabolism; instead of running at the same pace for the entire workout, alternate between periods of pushing your body to the max and periods of recovery.
5. Muscle mass burns more calories than fat, so strength training is a must if you want to drop pounds. Include at least three 30-minute sessions each week, making sure to work every muscle group.
6. Train big muscle groups for more calorie burn. Big = glutes, legs,chest and back. Train abs every day.
7. Short on time? The average person burns 250 calories in 20 minutes when doing kettlebell exercises. You'll combine cardio and strength.
8. Find ways to squeeze fitness in during your workday to burn some extra calories. Climb the stairs to use the bathroom on a different floor of your office building, take a walk during conference calls, and instead of sitting on a chair, sit on a stability ball or use a standing desk.
9. Can't fit in one regular workout? Break it up and squeeze in 10 minute workouts or four times a day.
10. Just because you went for a run doesn't mean you can eat an ice cream sundae and fries afterward. Fuel yourself appropriately, whether it's with a 150-calorie snack or 400- to 500-calorie meal that's complete with plant based foods lean proteins, and whole grains.